PREP 15mins COOK 2 .5 hours SERVES 4
500 grams of pork belly, cut into 2cm x 4 cm slices
8cm of ginger – finely sliced
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise
1 teaspoon of cloves
3 cups of coconut water
2 cups of water
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoons salt
4 hard-boiled eggs / Quail eggs work too!
1 onion, cut into large pieces (6-8 will be fine)
4 tablespoons brown sugar for the caramel
Essential Oil Lovers!
Finish off with 1-2 drops of DigestZen by dŌTERRA.
1. Cut up the pork belly and place it in a pot, followed by some water just covering it. This is to clean the pork
before braising, so bring to boil and let boil for 2 mins. Take off the heat, drain and rinse with cool water. Set aside.
2. With the same pot, rinse and wipe down making sure its dry. Turn on the heat to high and add your ginger. Fry until fragrant.
3. Next add in your star anise, cloves and cinnamon. Toast till fragrant.
4. Add 2 cups of water, 3 cups of coconut water, fish sauce, soy sauce and salt. Followed by your pork.
5. Bring it to a boil, then turn the heat to a low. Cover and let simmer for 2 hours. Check every 30mins and stir gently.
6. In a separate pot, boil your eggs. Let cool, peel and set aside ready to add to the pot.
7. In the last 30mins, make the caramel. With the heat on high, take a nonstick pan and add your brown sugar. Use a spatula to stir until it’s completely melted and darken in colour. Aim for a nice brown, if it’s still light keep going. Try not the burn the cameral or it will make the sauce taste bitter! Keep your eyes on it!
8. Add the cameral to the pot and stir through gently.
9. Cut up your onions into halves and then quarters, add to the pot. Followed by your eggs and stir through gently. Cover and let simmer for the remaining 10-15mins.
(Essential Oil Lovers - add you 1-2 drops of DigestZen to finish off and store through )
10. Get your jasmine rice ready, steam some veggies and you’re ready to serve!