PREP 30 MINS COOK 60 MINS SERVES 8
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup milk
250 butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups wholemeal flour
2 tbsp baking powder
4 tbsp cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup milk
200g of chocolate chips (I used baking chips from Cadbury, milk or dark)
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line an 8inch round spring form pan with baking paper.
2. Combine eggs, sugar, milk, butter and vanilla extract and blend with an electric blender until sugar has dissolved or once its creamy!
3. Add your dry ingredients and beat for another 5 minutes until creamy and fluffy.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan and let sit for 15 mins before baking for the wholemeal flour to soak in all that moisture!! Trust me with this, it will make the cake super moist after baking!
5. Let’s make the ganache! Place chocolate into a medium sized, heatproof bowl and set aside.
6. Place milk and butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until butter has melted completely.
7. Increase heat to medium high and allow mixture to cook another couple of minutes, until you see tiny bubbles around the edge of the saucepan. Be careful and do not boil or burn the milk!
8. Pour hot milk into the bowl of chocolate and allow it to sit for 5 minutes, then stir until the chocolate has completely melted and the mixture is shiny and smooth. Set aside and let cool in room temp/ cover with some cling wrap.
9. Now let’s bake the cake! Pop the cake into the oven and bake for about 60 mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. I like the check the cake at about 45mins just in case!
10. Take out the cake and cool in pan.
11. Once the cake has cooled, pour over the ganache over the cake.
12. Cover the cake pan with aluminium foil and chill in the fridge for an hour to set the ganache before serving. I left the cake in the fridge overnight and it came out perfect!!
Cut yourself a huge piece, warm up in the microwave for 20 secs and eat some some vanilla ice-cream + strawberries! YUM! :)
Enjoy and remember to tag me in your creations! @msbbanks